Bisnow is the commercial real estate industry’s leading B2B platform across North America, Canada, the UK and Ireland. Like any other industry, executives within CRE need to be informed and connected to do their jobs well. And in CRE, doing your job well means doing smarter deals and more of them.
Our mission is to inform, connect and advance the commercial real estate community to do more business. From events and news to branded content and jobs, our singular voice, attitude and perspective reach 18 million all-digital readers, thousands of job seekers and more than 100,000 industry insiders who attend our 300+ Bisnow events each year. Operating in more than 50 cities across North America and Europe, we tend to think globally, but strive to connect people hyper-locally.
Our Tech team is looking for a Software Developer to create advanced, high quality code products across the company’s technical stack. This individual is a creative problem solver and innovative self-starter who brings front-end and back-end expertise to the team -- effective at database work, proficient at writing, testing and maintaining application code and a solid team member and collaborator. The development team is distributed and working remotely across the lines of business, on the web stack, the data pipeline and the consumer-facing products.
- Create efficient and maintainable code that achieves business and technical requirements
- Gain an understanding of the business so as to participate actively in product development and technical architecture
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with other departments to refine requirements and specifications
- Write unit tests for all code and aim for quality as a top priority
- Create technical documentation to guide and speed future development
- Develop reports and data visualizations for internal and customer-facing use
- Troubleshoot, debug, maintain and improve existing software
- Deploy code to development, staging and production environments
- Stay current on the latest technologies and trends with an eye to advancing the business
- Identify and recommend technical and process improvements
- Maintain and expand on external testing services
- Participate in peer code reviews and approve features for final review
- Work with the team on developing practical solutions, innovations, and estimation of effort and time
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- Degree in computer science or related field, or relevant work experience
- PHP programming experience, Laravel experience desired
- Database design and development skills, MySQL, Redshift experience desired
- CSS, Docker, and Google Analytics
- Snowplow, Python desired
SO, WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
We will list some of the benefits but part of our culture is to embody humility. So hopefully you like what you see and learn about the rest on your own and throughout the process.
- We have a competitive compensation structure that rewards those who win, incredibly well
- Vacation is important and we want you to take it. We’re also not into bureaucracy so tracking vacation sounds insane and that’s why we decided years ago, to offer unlimited vacation
- Health, dental, vision, commuter, short term disability and 401k benefits are included for all our employees
- You’ll get to work with incredibly smart, passionate, driven, ambitious, kind, caring and mindful people and will rarely experience an overload of policies, bureaucracy or toxicity (the latter, we do not tolerate. Period.)
WHAT ARE THE DRAWBACKS?
We’re not perfect and don’t pretend to be. So here are the most common drawbacks voiced by people who did not find Bisnow to be a good fit.
- “Lack of structure.” – We’ve gone from a handful of entrepreneurs to a company with 100 employees relatively quickly and our management team is mostly in their thirties which means we don’t have decades of experience. We’re figuring things out as we go, so if you’re someone who needs structure in place, we’re probably not the place for you but if you consider yourself an entrepreneur and want to help figure things out with a smart team of like-minded go-getters, this could be your dream career.
- “Chaotic at times, Bisnow should put proper policies in place.” – Mario Andretti once said that if things seem under control, you’re probably not going fast enough. We don’t encourage chaos but we do see a healthy amount of it as a result of exciting growth and we’re also not big fans of bureaucracy and find the more policies we implement the more bureaucratic things become.
- “Long hours, not a lot of time off, unlimited vacation means no vacation.” – We encourage taking long vacations and time off and we truly believe that those sorts of trips can lead to more productivity when people come back and feel more inspired by new ideas. We do work long hours and for some people, that’s not ideal. As entrepreneurs, we have to love what we do or else we wouldn’t be particularly good at it and when you love what you do, you don’t really separate work and play but rather integrate the two.