Director, National Event Coordination
Bisnow is the largest producer of news and events within the commercial real estate industry across North America, Canada, the UK and Ireland. Like any other industry, executives within CRE need to be informed and connected to do their jobs well. And in CRE, doing your job well means doing smarter deals and more of them.
Our mission is to inform, connect and advance the commercial real estate community to do more business. We aspire to be the most data-driven and humanizing digital media, live events and intelligence platform in the galaxy — and through this effort, drive the industry to do smarter business. From events and news to branded content and video, our singular voice, attitude and perspective reaches 18 million all-digital readers and more than 100,000 industry insiders who attend our 300+ Bisnow events each year. Operating in more than 50 cities across North America and Europe, we tend to think globally, but strive to connect people hyper-locally.
At Bisnow, we believe the interview process is a two way street. We ask that you interview us during this process as much as we plan to interview you. At Bisnow, we expect people to believe in our mission, our vision and our values. We don’t simply put these words on a wall. We hire, we fire, we promote, we demote, we bonus or don’t bonus, based on our mission, vision and values. So please, take them as seriously as we promise to take your application. Thank you.
- Interview and select coordination team candidates that meet expectations of the Bisnow Coordination Function.
- Train all new backend and onsite coordinators
- Oversee and hold each Coordinator accountable to their and their team’s KPI’s on a weekly basis (principally focused on COGS goals within an event budget).
- Manage vacation/travel schedule for coordinators
- Ensure coordinators follow all steps in the event planning process to produce high quality events
- Approvals of sales concepts
- Event quality control
- Manage the monthly event PnL and budget
- Manage event travel schedule for all emcees and coordinators
- Set-up and manage one-on-one operations calls with each coordinator weekly
- Supervise all venue negotiations on pricing and contracts before coordinators sign
- Continually help coordinators with budget and controlling costs (includes approving hotel contracts)
- Create cost and revenue targets for all new events / concepts
- Manage event inventory in all markets
- Manage post event surveys and customer service specialist
EXPECTATIONS & STRENGTHS
- The Director of Event Coordination must lead from the front at all times. Given the furious work ethic of our team, this requires a leader who understands the meaning of being first on the field, last off. Therefore the ideal candidate must be prepared to work many hours in the office.
- Face-time is one thing, results are another. An Extreme Ownership approach is a must at Bisnow and this is only further highlighted in this role. The hiring, training, mentoring and succession planning for each event coordinator is ultimately the responsibility of the Director. Again, to achieve this one must lead from the front.
Be intellectually curious and never content. We don’t believe we are perfect and we certainly don’t like to rest on our laurels when we do get things right. The Director of Event Coordination will need to continuously innovate, meet with other firms to learn and expand their horizons and ultimately improve and further develop our processes to ensure that we are becoming better versions of ourselves on a continuous basis.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
- We have a competitive compensation structure that rewards those who win, well
- Vacation is important and we want you to take it. We’re also not into bureaucracy so tracking vacation sounds insane and that’s why we decided to offer unlimited vacation
- Health, dental, vision, short term disability and 401k benefits are included for all our employees
- You’ll get to work with smart, passionate, driven, ambitious, kind, caring and mindful people and will rarely experience an overload of policies, bureaucracy or toxicity (the latter, we do not tolerate. Period)
WHAT ARE THE DRAWBACKS?
Most companies wouldn’t dream to include drawbacks on a job description - but we know we’re not perfect and don’t pretend to be. So here are the most common drawbacks voiced by people who did not find Bisnow to be a good fit.
“Lack of structure.” – we’ve gone from a handful of entrepreneurs to a company with 100 employees relatively quickly and our management team are mostly in their thirties which means we don’t have decades of experience. We’re figuring things out as we go, so if you’re someone who needs structure in place, we’re probably not the place for you but if you consider yourself an entrepreneur and want to help figure things out with a smart team of like-minded go getters, this could be your dream career.
“Chaotic at times, Bisnow should put proper policies in place.” – Mario Andretti once said that if things seem under control, you’re probably not going fast enough. We don’t encourage chaos but we do see a healthy amount of it as a result of exciting growth and we’re also not big fans of bureaucracy and find the more policies we implement the more bureaucratic things become.
“Long hours, not a lot of time off, unlimited vacation means no vacation.” – We encourage taking long vacations and time off and we truly believe that those sorts of trips can lead to more productivity when people come back and feel more inspired by new ideas. We do work long hours and for some people that’s not ideal. As entrepreneurs, we have to love what we do or else we wouldn’t be particularly good at it and when you love what you do, you don’t really separate work and play but rather integrate the two.