Commercial Real Estate Event Producer
So... what is Bisnow Media?
Bisnow is the largest producer of news and events within the commercial real estate industry across NorthAmerica, Canada, the UK and Ireland. Like any other industry, executives within CRE need to be informed and connected to do their jobs well. And in CRE, doing your job well means doing smarter deals and more of them.
Our mission is to inform, connect and advance the commercial real estate community to do more business. We aspire to be the most data-driven and humanizing digital media, live events and intelligence platform in the galaxy — and through this effort, drive the industry to do smarter business. From events and news to branded content and video, our singular voice, attitude and perspective reaches 18 million all digital readers and more than 100,000 industry insiders who attend our 300+ Bisnow events each year. Operating in more than 50 cities across North America and Europe, we tend to think globally, but strive to connect people hyper-locally.
At Bisnow, we believe the interview process is a two way street. We ask that you interview us during this process as much as we plan to interview you. At Bisnow, we expect people to believe in our mission, our vision and our values. We don’t simply put these words on a wall. We hire, we fire, we promote, we demote, we bonus or don’t bonus, based on our mission, vision and values. So please, take them as seriously as we promise to take your application. Thank you.
- Diligently research programming ideas to identify top-notch speakers for our events.
- Once speakers have been identified, consistently recruit said individuals and using phone, email, and in person meetings.
- Educate potential speakers on why it makes sense to spend their time speaking on a specific panel at one of your events.
- Build from scratch, and then manage the event experience - soup to nuts. This involves researching out-of-the-box content ideas, recruiting and placing C-level executives on each conference, and working side by side with sales to drive sponsor sales.
- Constantly brainstorm fresh and relevant topic ideas to adapt to trends within the industry.
- Manage all speaker relations and touch points- from setting up pre-event brainstorm calls to welcoming speakers onsite.
- Lead pre and post event meetings by providing direction, guidance, and feedback to all involved.
- Constantly look for innovative solutions to improve the content, marketing strategy and attendee experience for each of your events.
- In the world of events, nothing goes according to plan. Often this means working with different departments at Bisnow who need varying degrees of support to reach goals that can often be lofty. Bisnow is a sales driven business and this role is one which requires an individual who wishes to support the sales team in achieving their goals, no matter how ambitious they might be.
- Drive sponsorship sales by prospecting for sales team and build sponsor-friendly programs that ultimately align with interest of Bisnow’s client base.
- Be the glue that holds it all together and never stop aspiring to create the best attendee experience in the industry.
Expectations & Strengths
- Demonstrated interested in commercial real estate.
- Intellectual curiosity. We don’t believe we are perfect and we certainly don’t like to rest on our laurels when we do get things right. Our event producers will need to meet with other firms to learn and expand their horizons and ultimately improve and further develop our processes to ensure continuous innovation.
- Innate hustle, raw intelligence and infectious enthusiasm.
- Entrepreneurial yet disciplined, creative-minded yet organized, ambitious yet humble.
- Demonstrated experience excelling in a group or team environment of any sort.
- Receptive to feedback and always open to constructive criticism.
- Strong project management skills.
- Ability to work in a high-energy, fast-paced, hard-charging environment.
- Never give up attitude. Positive mental state of mind and strong desire to be challenged on a daily basis.
- Rejection will come frequently, failures will be commonplace and the odds will be stacked against you and the sales executive you are supporting. If this sounds daunting, the role is not for you. If it sounds challenging and you like the idea of getting knocked down so that you can get back up, this role may be for you.
What Are The Benefits?
- We have a competitive compensation structure that rewards those who win, well
- Vacation is important and we want you to take it. We’re also not into bureaucracy so tracking vacation sounds insane and that’s why we decided to offer unlimited vacation
- Health, dental, vision, short term disability and 401k benefits are included for all our employees
- You’ll get to work with smart, passionate, driven, ambitious, kind, caring and mindful people and will rarely experience an overload of policies, bureaucracy or toxicity (the latter, we do not tolerate. Period.)
What Are the Drawbacks?
Most companies wouldn’t dream to include drawbacks on a job description - but we know we’re not perfect and don’t pretend to be. So here are the most common drawbacks voiced by people who did not find Bisnow to be a good fit.
- “Lack of structure.” – we’ve gone from a handful of entrepreneurs to a company with 100 employees relatively quickly and our management team are mostly in their thirties which means we don’t have decades of experience. We’re figuring things out as we go, so if you’re someone who needs structure in place, we’re probably not the place for you but if you consider yourself an entrepreneur and want to help figure things out with a smart team of like-minded go getters, this could be your dream career.
- “Chaotic at times, Bisnow should put proper policies in place.” – Mario Andretti once said that if things seem under control, you’re probably not going fast enough. We don’t encourage chaos but we do see a healthy amount of it as a result of exciting growth and we’re also not big fans of bureaucracy and find the more policies we implement the more bureaucratic things become.
- “Long hours, not a lot of time off, unlimited vacation means no vacation.” – We encourage taking long vacations and time off and we truly believe that those sorts of trips can lead to more productivity when people come back and feel more inspired by new ideas. We do work long hours and for some people that’s not ideal. As entrepreneurs, we have to love what we do or else we wouldn’t be particularly good at it and when you love what you do, you don’t really separate work and play but rather integrate the two.